First Citizens Visa Business Classic, Business Gold and Signature Cardholders with this coverage can benefit from the security and safety offered through VISA International’s Purchase Protection, an insurance program. If something you bought with your Card is damaged or stolen within 45 days of purchase, chances are you’re protected. Most new purchases are covered against theft or damage for a full 45 days from the date of purchase.
To get coverage:
- VISA International Purchase Protection insurance is for most items you purchase entirely with your Card for yourself or to give as gifts.
- Purchases need not be registered.
The kind of coverage you receive:
- Coverage is secondary. If you or the recipient of the gift have any other insurance that would cover the eligible purchases (such as homeowner’s, renter’s, or auto insurance), VISA International Purchase Protection will pay the amount not covered by your primary insurance up to the amount you paid for the item with your Card, subject to the limits expressed below.
- This benefit extends to the item’s owner (i.e. when a purchase is made for a business, the business claims the benefit).
What is covered:
- Most items you buy entirely with your Card are covered for a full 90 days from the date of purchase indicated on your credit Card statement. Coverage is limited to the cost of the item (excluding delivery and transportation costs) and is as follows:
VISA Business Classic and VISA Signature: up to US$1,000 per incident, up to US$5,000 per year per account
VISA Business Gold: up to US$5,000 per incident, up to US$25,000 per year per account
- Items you purchase with your Card and give as gifts are also covered, subject to the same conditions.
- Coverage for stolen or damaged items that are made up of a pair or set will be limited to the cost of any particular part or parts. However, if the articles cannot be used, replaced, or repaired individually, the value of the pair or set will be covered. Coverage for stolen or damaged jewelry or fine art will be limited to the cost of the particular part or parts, regardless of any special value the article(s) may have had as part of a set or collection.
What is NOT covered:
- Lost items and items which mysteriously disappear (the only proof of loss is unexplained or there is no physical evidence to show what happened to the item) without any evidence of a wrongful act.
- Unlocked or unattended (left in public sight, out of arm’s reach, lacking care, custody or control by Cardholder or responsible party), items stolen from any location or place open to the general public or community for use or membership. Public places shall not include the following: the covered person’s place of employment, elementary or secondary school, places of worship.
- Items lost, stolen, damaged or miss-delivered while under the care and control of a third part or common carrier (including but not limited to airlines, the Postal Service, or other delivery services).
- Losses due to normal wear and tear, misuse, fraud, gradual deterioration and/or abuse.
- Items that you damage through alteration (including cutting, sawing, shaping).
- Used, antique, collectibles of any kind (including but not limited to trading Cards, Beanie Babies, etc.), recycled, previously owned, rebuilt, remanufactured, product guarantees (for example, glass breakage) or “satisfaction guaranteed” items.
- Motorized vehicles and watercraft, aircraft, and motorcycles or their motors, equipment, or accessories. Coverage will apply to motorized equipment used solely for the upkeep and maintenance of a business,but not for commercial use.
- Land, buildings (including but not limited to homes and dwellings), permanently installed items, fixtures, or structures.
- Travelers checks; tickets of any kind; negotiable instruments; bullion; rare or precious coins; philatelic and numismatic property; cash or its equivalent.
- Damage caused by vermin.
- Plants, animals, consumables and perishables.
- Items purchased for resale.
- Professional services (including but not limited to the performance or rendering of labor or maintenance; repair or installation of products, goods, or property; professional advice of any kind, including but not limited to information/services or advice secured from any help or support line; or technical support for software, hardware, or any other peripherals).
- Application programs, operating software, and other software.
- War or hostilities of any kind (for example, invasion, rebellion, insurrection, riot or civil commotion); confiscation or damage caused by any government, public authority or customs official; risks of contraband; illegal activity or acts. CC-GEN-CP/GV/PS-PA(02/02)
- Inherent product defects.
- Radioactive contamination.
- Acts of God (including but not limited to flood, hurricane and earthquake).
- Items stored at any construction site.
- Items under rent, lease or borrowed, for which you will be held responsible.
- Items stolen from, in or upon automobiles, other vehicles or common carriers, whether being used as a business or not; including but not limited to airplanes, trains, boats, cruise ships, RVs, or other private common carriers
- Shipping and handling expenses or installation, assembly related costs;
- Losses that are caused by vermin, insects, termites, mold, wet or dry rot, bacteria or rust;
- Losses due to mechanical failure, electrical failure, software failure, or data failure including, but not limited to any electrical power interruption, surge, brownout or blackout, or telecommunications or satellite systems failure.
- Items damaged due to normal course of play (such as, but not limited to sporting or recreational equipment);
- Items that you damaged through alteration (including cutting, sawing, and shaping)
How to file a claim under visa international purchase protection insurance coverage:
Keep receipts for items you buy with your Card. You’ll need them to file a claim.
1. Call the VISA Assistance Center at 1-800-847-2911 or collect at 1-410-581-9754 to get a claim form. You must report the claim within 30 days of the incident, or we will not be able to honor your claim.
2. Submit the following documentation as proof of loss, including but not limited to:
- Signed claim form
- VISA International credit/debit statement
- VISA International credit/debit receipt
- Itemized store receipt
- Report from police or appropriate authority Copy of repair estimate or repair bill
- Copy of the declarations page of any applicable insurance policy including homeowner’s, renter’s or auto insurance.
Return all required documentation within the time frame stated on the claim form or we will not be able to honor the claim.
3. The program administrator will decide whether to have the item repaired or replaced or to reimburse you up to the amount paid for the item.
- This program description is not a policy or contract of insurance.
- To qualify for the VISA International Purchase Protection program, Your account must be open and in compliance with the terms of Your VISA International Card agreement. VISA International reserves the right to alter the terms of the VISA International Purchase Protection program. No benefits will be provided in the event of fraud.
- No person or entity other than the VISA International Cardholder shall have any legal or equitable right, remedy or claim under or arising out of this coverage. No rights or benefits provided to VISA International Cardholders under the VISA International Purchase Protection program may be assigned without the prior written consent of the program administrator. Any assignment or transfer without the prior written consent of the program administrator shall be null and void.